Monday, August 4, 2008

Last Week in a (Sorta Big!) Nutshell

Last week was a very busy, but fruitful and fun, week! While our oldest son went to a week-long camp last Sunday, the other three boys and I piled into the family van and drove a couple of hours southeast to my parents' home in Delaware for the week. The reason for the trip was to participate in the Daily Vacation Bible School my parents' church was having all week long. I was asked to teach the 2's and 3's which is a class for children of that age whose parents are working at the DVBS. I had six little ones, including my son Benjamin, and on two days, when there was no nursery, I had my son Nathaniel and another little girl. Fortunately, I had a great helper, too, so I wasn't by myself. The theme of this DVBS was "Digging for the Truth of God's Word" and the Bible stories were basically Creation and Noah's Flood. So, we did a lot with dinosaurs and animals which was really fun for me and the kids. Here are some photos to show you some of the fun things my little group did...


...we put on dinosaur masks and played "Dino Tag"...


...we stenciled dinosaurs onto t-shirts with sparkly fabric paint--too cool!...


...and we made dinosaur hats!...

Of course there are many hilarious stories to be told after working with this age group, but I won't get into all of that! Suffice it to say that it was very fun, yet extremely exhausting, and I was more glad than sad when the week was over!


Another happening last week was that our youngest son, Nathaniel, now 10 months old, finally figured out how to pull himself to standing pretty consistently. In fact, the toy box in our classroom served as a great stability object to do just that. Here he goes...




You can see he's pretty tickled with himself! I guess the toys were a big motivator for him, and he figured that since he was with the "big kids", he ought to start acting like one! (Now if I could only have Benjamin use that logic when it comes to going on the big boy potty!)


After the busy week of DVBS, I deposited the children with my hubby, and my mom and I went to Valley Forge on Saturday to attend the Creating Keepsakes Convention there. We had a blast shopping all the vendors and taking a few classes. When I totally complete the projects, I'll make sure and post photos...they are pretty neat if I do say so myself!



As icing on the cake, I received some pretty nifty stuff in the mail this past week. What a nice treat to come home to! Remember my post about Postcrossing, the site where you can send postcards to people around the world? Well I received two postcards this week, one from Indiana here in the US and one from Finland. I am really enjoying being a part of this site. Here are the postcards I received:






And last, but certainly not least, in today's mail I received a huge surprise treat from my good friend Beth at Red Yarn...Benjamin Bear (and other goodies!) made by my new friend Kathy at Lizzie Jane!


What sneaky gals, I must say! Ever since I saw Benjamin posted on Kathy's blog, I was enamored with him...and now he's residing at my house! Thanks, Beth, for being such a thoughtful and wonderful friend, and thanks, Kathy, for making such delightful creations!

Wow...I wonder what this week will hold! Whatever it holds for you, have a happy one!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Terri, I love the pictures! I can't get over how much Nathaniel looks like some of your baby pictures. He is such a CUTIE!!

Lomdím said...

Ditto! He sure looks like his Mommy. I'm jealous -I like DVBS week at Faith. I'm even more jealous of the scrapbooking event. Glad you had fun!
-Jenn

LizzieJane said...

I must say Little Benjamin looks like he has made himself quite at home, he is a very lucky bear indeed.
What a lovely week you have had, and I am sure it was very rewarding.

Bethany said...

Yeah!!!! Benjamin Bear looks right at home there! You had a really fun looking week too! I love those t-shirts and dino-masks!! The postcard exchange sounds like a lot of fun too. Whenever I get mail from a different country, I am totally enamored with the envelopes! I can't throw them out! And Nathaniel! He's getting SO big! Tell that little cutie to slow down a bit... he's going to keep you busy once he starts running around! (I know... you're already very busy.) Your weekend away sounded great too. I have about 4 more weeks and Craig and I will be heading away for a weekend to celebrate our anniversary!