Friday, July 3, 2009

Musings on Family and Country

I can hardly believe it is the 4th of July already...well, almost, as I'm posting this on the 3rd. We are going to be spending some time with family this weekend and enjoying a BBQ and good fellowship. My older boys keep wondering when summer is going to come, as it really hasn't been unbearably hot here yet. This past week we had rain every evening which kept the temps reasonable. But I'm looking at the calendar and realizing that one third of their summer vacation is over, and with as busy a month as July is, soon August will be here and school is right around the corner again!

This month I am directing and teaching at our church's Vacation Bible School, and we are planning a little vacation to upper New York State with some friends. I know the month will fly by very quickly. The other day I reminisced by watching two old videos that haven't seen the light of day for quite some time. The first one was of a patriotic cantata that our school community did in Santiago, Chile, back in 1989. I was a senior in high school, just about to graduate, at the time. It was great fun to look at everyone in the cantata, and the audience, and realize how much time has gone by since then. This year would be my 20th high school reunion if our little school did such a thing! The second video was of our wedding. I don't think I had ever really watched it before. A friend was our videographer, and she got shots from the rehearsal, photo session, wedding, and reception. I recall so few details of that day, so it was fun to watch the video and remember. My kids enjoyed watching their mom laugh and cry all at the same time more than the videos, I think!

Whatever you are doing this weekend, have fun doing it. Stay safe and healthy, and remember to say a prayer for our country and her leaders. We are going through trying times and I believe that it is only through a return to the ideals and beliefs of our country's biblical heritage that our country will once again be great.

God bless America!

No comments: