Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Does God Eat Boo-Boos?"

The question above was articulated by my three year old the other day while we were traveling together in the van. He has sustained many bumps, bruises, and scrapes this summer due to his no-holds-barred approach to life. He is always going at 100 mph and his many tumbles don't seem to deter him at all. The day he asked this question, he was consumed with a good-sized scrape on his leg that had bled when it first occurred, but now was scabbed over. The scab was starting to disappear. When he asked me "Does God eat boo-boos?" I wasn't quite sure I had heard correctly. When he repeated the question a second time, my mind raced, as it often does at such intriguing questions, to figure out what he was trying to synthesize in his little brain. I remembered his fascination with his scrape, and how I had explained to him that God would make his leg better. I guess he thought that since the scab was disappearing, that God was making it better by eating it! I quickly explained that God has created our bodies in such a way that they heal, and that God was not eating his boo-boo--that would be gross! "Oh!" was his reply, and on he went to the next topic of conversation. Only out of the mouths of babes!

3 comments:

LizzieJane said...

It so amazes me all the questions that children ask, I couldn't even think to ask a question like that.
If only my brain would work like that again.
I know what you mean about not knowing how to answer for a minute or two, it used to set off a mini panic in me!

LizzieJane said...

Thank you Terri, what a lovely comment.

Bethany said...

:) I love these little stories!